Tuesday, February 25, 2014

On Moving Mountains

"My heart is really hurting," I said as God sat down beside me. He said nothing as He waited for me to continue. But the words I tried to speak were swallowed whole by the choking sobs erupting from my throat. Gently, He pulled me closer and wrapped His arm around my quaking shoulders.
It's a comforting thing to sit with God. I never have to worry what He's thinking about me.

"This isn't turning out the way I expected. I put such painstaking thought and effort and so. much. time into it. Yes, it was lopsided and messy because I'm really not that good at it. And there were times when I wondered if it was worth saving. But it was mine. I didn't hold back...I gave it my all. I spent a LOT of time observing others around me with theirs, to see if I could make adjustments and improvements...some were so amazing. Others were lacking but coming along pretty good with a little extra effort.  And there were some that cracked and began to crumble. It was interesting to witness some people pick up the pieces, while others chose to just walk away. I had high hopes for mine. But it exploded. BOOM! Just like that I was left with an unrecognizable mountain of rubble."

I stopped to catch my breath, but felt compelled to remain silent. There was no hurry to get my words out. God always sits with me for as long as I need Him to. It was a bittersweet moment as I found myself glancing at the nearly empty space that once occupied that mountainous pile of rubble, and realized I had, through an incredibly difficult process of sifting and sorting, literally "moved a mountain".

"You need to sit with this for awhile," God said. "There is much to be learned through observing not only what is before you, but what is inside of you as well. The pain in your heart serves a purpose. It makes you keenly aware of growth. Some day, when you look back on this experience from a new vantage point, you will appreciate the pain, which serves as a physical sign of change and progress and movement to a higher, holier ground."

God is my best friend. Every day He helps me see things in a different, better way. I'm so grateful that I am worthy of His time and patience. My heart is overwhelmed with the love He has for me, a seemingly insignificant, but oh so cherished, daughter of God. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf (2nd Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) said it best when he stated "Compared to God we are nothing...but to God we are everything." How that makes my heart sing!

https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2013-01-002-earthly-father-heavenly-father?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment