Tuesday, October 15, 2013

May I Have Your Attention Please...


"Whoa! Hold on a minute..." I looked up, a little surprised that God had spoken so abruptly. He kind of caught me off guard. "You can't take this process lightly", He said. "Don't let yourself get casual or fall into the trap of merely going through the motions. You'll only cause regret in the long run." As He gently put His arm around my shoulder, pulling me into a tight hug, He quietly reminded me, "You, my dear, have got to pay attention."

Sometimes, I must admit, I lose my focus. My mind wanders a lot. More accurately, it wonders a lot. How is it that I keep finding "pieces and parts" of things I've already worked on, so sure I had finally put them behind me? What's the harm in moving on? Truth is...out of sight, out of mind doesn't apply here. What is ignored by "moving on" eventually catches up and blindsides you with an ugly wave of regret.

And some days I get to feeling pretty confident about myself...prideful, you might say, about how far I've come. And I become casual about the things that matter most. I forget, or decide I don't have time, to check in with God. I'm not as kind or as patient as I need to be, neglecting to offer the same love to others that God so graciously offers to me. I rationalize my behaviors, my moods, my attitudes, while easily finding someone or something to blame them on. My heart and mind become melting pots for discouragement, sadness, self pity and ingratitude. And I become a barrier to my own progress.

So, pay attention I will. And each time I'll be forever grateful that He loves me enough to remind me. One. More. Time.


No comments:

Post a Comment