Sunday, October 6, 2013

A Lesson In Pride And Humility

"Let me give you a lesson in perspective", God said. "It will help you to see the importance of seeing things as they really are, rather than slipping into the mode of rationalization or denial. It will be easy to side step some of this work...make excuses for your unwillingness to dig deeper, to deal with more than what lies on the surface. Digging is grueling, and sometimes very painful. However, it provides stamina that is essential to giving you the strength to keep working; to resist the temptation to hide in a corner in the misleading disguise of a victim".

While driving my daughter to school one day, I couldn't help but observe the beauty of the early morning hours. The sky was a crisp clear blue, gloriously lit with the brilliant calming light of the sun dawning on what felt like the beginning of a fabulous day. I could hear the song filled chirping of birds, and felt my heart bursting with the thought that I was in a really good place in my personal life. The "dust" from the "mess" I'd found myself in months previously had finally settled, and I was grateful to be in a peaceful stretch of "coasting".

However, driving back home I realized it took much greater concentration and focus as I noticed, now driving into the sunlight, that the inside of my windshield was covered with a thick layer of streaks and smudges. And with that realization came this analogy that sank deep into my mind:

"In life you must walk toward the SON (Jesus Christ); daily prayer, scripture study, obeying the commandments...will all help you walk toward Him. This is a daily choice. When you choose not to do the things that will help you be closer to Him, you "walk" on your own and it is easy to fall into the trap of rationalization that all is well, denial that there is any change to be made. But in "walking" toward Him, by doing the things that will help you be closer to Him, you will likely become aware of the "streaks and smudges on your inside"...attitudes, habits, thoughts, actions, faults, sins and weaknesses that need to be changed or dismissed and replaced with something better. This can be done with His help. He is willing and always available; there is no time or other limitation to His ability or availability. He has many "windshields" to attend to, but yours will always be His priority...as long as it is yours. And when it is not, He will wait patiently...until you willingly extend the invitation to Him to come and help".

Such a humbling and insightful experience that was. He is ready. Always. He loves me. Always. I am His priority. Always. And I promise to give my very best effort. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment